Tuesday 1 November 2016

Translantau50 2015

Found out that there's a post in my draft folder which has been there for more than a year. It's an event that I joined in 2015 at Hong Kong, Translantau 50.

Get to know about Translantau from a fellow participant of Penang Trail in Twilight Stars 2014, will talk about this run in my coming post... Translantau is one of the Ultra Trail Running events in HK. There are 4 categories for this event, the 100km, 50km, 25km and 15km. All categories start and end at Silvermine Beach, Muiwo, Lantau Island.

Never thought of joining this run when I first found out about it. The idea only came after a friend of mine asking me about the Sabah/Borneo Ultra. I suggested the Translantau instead of the Sabah Ultra. Within few days, he called up and said, hey, let's do it. He manages to get some of his friends to join in. But they opted for the 25km instead. Don't want to miss the fun, me too joined the race, but in the 50km run.

The big day was 14 March 2015. Took a midnight flight and reach Hong Kong early in the morning, around 5am, of 13 March 2015. This is the first time I reach Hong Kong in such an early hour. While waiting for first HK Airport Express train, we took our breakfast at the fast food outlet in HKIA.

Travel straight to Central after breakfast, leave our luggage and come out for a walk around Central. It's too early to check in, even though I requested early check in. Manage to check in around 10am. What a brilliant idea to purchase a midnight flight to HK. But it is a blessing in disguise. You will know why later in the post.

Went to meet a friend which stay in HK for lunch. He too is a runner. Meeting him up at Sham Shui Po. After lunch, he brought me to a small level one shop nearby. The shop is quite famous among local runner. The owner is a runner himself, and things that sell there are much cheaper compare to other places. Bought a pair of Hoka One One(pronounce as onay onay)Stinson ATR there. Hoka is the pioneer of maximalist shoes. I had always wanted to try it, but can't find a shop in Penang selling it. And I don't want to buy online before trying it.

Meeting up with the others who came for the 25km run. Had a Wan Than Mee dinner at Tsim Tsa Tsui with them. After dinner went straight back to the hotel. It was a tiring day and I slept around 10pm. That's why I said it was a blessing in disguise to get the midnight flight. I am so fresh on the running day.

Running Day...

Woke up at 5am, catch the 6am ordinary ferry. Why ordinary instead of fast ferry? It is because my friend will be supporting me with a bike. Yes, he is the same guy that brought me to buy the Hoka. And yes, he is a biker too. Bikers can only travel with the ordinary ferry. Actually, it is not because of the bike, it is because only ordinary ferry has freight service. Bike=freight.

Met 2 Sabahans on board. One is supporting another. Found out later on he is a fast runner. Was in the top 20 position during the first 3 CP.

Malaysia Boleh!

The festive environment in Silvermine Beach was so happening.

Me and Support Crew..Hehe..
 

The race started at 9am. Completed the race in 12 hours and 32 minutes. Some photos and videos here.

This race is getting more and more famous. When I joined this race in 2015, I managed to register myself 2 months after the registration open. But in 2016, all quota was taken in a very short period of time. For the race next year, 2017, all slots for the 50km was taken up in 26 minutes. I am one of the lucky ones that managed to get a place for the race in 2017. Yeaaaaaa.... Stay tuned for the 2017 Translantau 50....




No comments:

Post a Comment